The main coloring agents used when formulating makeup are pigments. Pigments and dyes are not the same thing. Dyes are soluble, meaning they will dissolve into whatever medium they are mixed (usually water). Pigments are generally not as soluble, and are divided into two categories – inorganic and organic. They have different properties and can create different effects for the purpos 100 mink lashes manufacturer e of learning how to make makeup.
- Inorganic Makeup Pigments.
Generally speaking, inorganic pigments ar 100 mink lashes manufacturer e less bright in color than organic pigments. However, they are far more stable to light and heat. The most common inorganic colorants used to make makeup include:
- Iron oxides. These are found in virtu 100 mink lashes manufacturer ally all types of cosmetics. By blending the basic shades of black, brown, red and yellow, an almost unlimited number range of natural and tan shades can be produced for foundations, concealers, face powders, blushers and bronzers.
- Chromium Dioxide. Found in most color cosmetics – but not permitted for use in lip products. Green in color – from drab olive green, bright green and blue green.
- Ultramarines. Again, not permitted for use in lip products. Colors range from bright blue to violet, oink and even green. Care should be taken, as there can be a reaction in extremely acidic conditions, 100 mink lashes manufacturer whereby ultramarines will produce hydrogen sulphide as a by-product.
- Manganese Violet. As the name suggests, this is a vivid purple makeup pigment.
- Iron Blue. An intense dark blue pigment found in many cosmetics – except lip products. 100 mink lashes manufacturer
- Titanium Dioxide/ Zinc Oxide. These w 100 mink lashes manufacturer hite pigments provide some UV protection, are stable to heat and light and provide excellent coverage on the skin.
2. Organic Makeup Pigments
These makeup colorants offer more solubility than inorganic pigments. The most widely used organic coloring agents include:
- Xanthense. This stain produces red or orange colors.
- AZO. Produces red and yellow coloring in makeup.
- Triarylmethane. Provides blue and green colorings.
- Natural Coloring Agents. These can in 100 mink lashes manufacturer clude vegetable colorants, caramel, cochineal (derived from beetles), among others. These colors require careful experimentation and testing as they can be unstable to heat light and pH, as well as exhibiting unpleasant odors.
So, the question is: How to make makeup using these pigments to provide the color?
You need a filler – a base to extend and bind the color pigments to produce a makeup with even coverage on the skin. The most widely used fillers are:
- Mica. Chemically known as potassium aluminum silicate dihdrate, this is refined and ground to a fine powder of 150 mic 100 mink lashes manufacturer rons or less. When used at levels of 40% or more to make makeup, face powders and blushers, it imparts a natural translucence. Sericite is a form of mica which has slightly different properties, somewhat similar to talc.
- Talc. Derived from magnesium silicate, t 100 mink lashes manufacturer alc has an undeserved reputation as a carcinogen. To date, there has been no evidence to support this claim and talc is approved by the FDA for use in making makeup.
What next when learning how to make makeup? Depending on the product you are making, you may consider the addition of fragrance, preservatives and emulsifying agents. With some makeup formulas, the addition of suitable preservatives will be imperative for safety.
With a little experimentation, you will be able to create an endless array of colors – from natural tones for foundations to bright shades for eyeshadows and lipsticks – just like the big name cosmetic labels.